My speciality is working with adults and youth who experience disordered eating: Binge Eating Disorder (BED), compulsive overeating, chronic dieting and/or challenges with body image/body acceptance. I support people who are ready to heal their relationship with food and their body. People who are ready to leave the diet culture behind, who want to reclaim the world of ‘normal’ eating.
If you are not ready for this YET and are struggling with anorexia or bulimia, I can connect you with other therapists.
The Body Trust® Paradigm of healing may be for you if:
- you’ve been out of eating disorder treatment for a while but still don’t feel like you trust yourself around food
- you’ve been to other clinicians and made some progress but you still don’t understand why you hate your body every morning when you wake up
- you don’t want to eat according to labels and exchanges any more
- no matter how much other areas of your life feel successful, the relationship with food and your body is still uncomfortable
- you’ve repeatedly demonstrated your determination and tenacity by trying the next diet, the next exercise regime in the hope of feeling better about who you are
- you’ve lost weight, putting on even more
- you believe by changing the shape and size of your body you will be happier and healthier
- you feel exasperated, no longer know what to do and feel lost
- you are tired and want peace, you don’t know if this is even possible any more
You know that you have done your very best for so long. Has hating your body really ever worked in acceptance, liberation, peace? This is hard work, it takes time, there are no quick fixes and it will be uncomfortable at times. You know what discomfort and pain is, you have been living it for so long. This time the pain, discomfort might as well be for ‘growing pains’, liberation, acceptance and peace.
Body Trust® is a healing modality a way out of the repetitive patterns of dieting, disordered eating and weight cycling that is fueled by body shame. Body Trust® is informed by Health at Every Size®, social justice and intersectional feminism, intuitive eating principles, shame resilience theory, motivational interviewing, self-compassion theory, relational cultural theory, mindfulness-based approaches, and post-modern therapeutic thought. See What is Body Trust®? for more details.
This shift into a new relationship with your body doesn’t happen overnight. It’s complex, connected to every aspect of life, and looks different for everybody. We believe in the part of you that is knowing, strong and capable. Body Trust® means you become your own expert and learn to read the wisdom of your own embodied experience. It is about finding joy and pleasure again.
Body Trust® is a reclamation is a process of reclaiming our bodies after they’ve been harmed by stigma, diet culture, shame, difference, and othering, and then further distanced by our attempts to mitigate that harm by trying to control the size, shape or appearance of our body.
What to expect:
You can expect absolute belief in you. Compassion and an understanding, empathy of what it takes to have journeyed with blame and shame, feeling like a failure for so long when in fact you have been failed, repeadley. My role is to introduce you to a different way of thinking and be a guide as you tap into your intuition, your relationship with you, your body and food as you take back the agency of you.
My practice is guided by:
Hilary Kinavey and Dana Sturtevant of Be Nourished (currently participating in their Body Trust® Provider Certification Training)
- Be Nourished Manifesto
- Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling – Narrative Therapy
- Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch – Intuitive Eating
- Linda Bacon – Health at Every Size
- Eating Disorder Essentials – ACFED
- Eating Disorder Prevention for Youth. Dr Stice & ACFED, EDEN Nourished, YWCA
- Christy Harrison’s podcast Food Psych
- Please see About Liz to view Passions, Professional Experience, Qualifications & Certificates
I am also guided by Ethical Premise and Values
Conversations are 60 minutes
My fee is $60 for students/unwaged, if working $80 for one to one conversations.
Note: Groups coming soon … contact Liz if you are interested.
Conversations occur in a tranquil space in Maunu, Whangarei, New Zealand.
I offer conversations via Skype or Zoom for those at a distance.